Saturday, May 3, 2014

Classroom Management Challenges with Technology

Classroom Management Challenges with Technology

There are many different approaches to combating technology issues in the classroom from control by authority, control through technology, and self-control.  I would generally say I favor the self-control approach which is established by clear guidelines and expectations and then backed up meaningful consequences.  However before I get on my high horse, I must confess that my school corporation has yet to go 1:1 and we do not allow students access to the internet through personal devices, so controlling technology use at my school is in its infancy at this point.

To me, helping students to understand parameters and build self-control with regard to technology access is the only approach likely to work in the long run.  Seriously, some kids are amazing with technology tools in their hands and regardless of what firewall you put in place they will find a way.  However, by helping students to understand the importance of parameters and then engaging them in meaningful educational learning opportunities which utilize technology we will go a long way toward keeping our students pointed in the right direction.

I would love to hear any thoughts or suggestions you might have on this issue!


Lance

1 comment:

  1. Your point about parameters is definitely key! Have you ever looked into Fay's Love and Logic series? They have some excellent webinars that offer teachers solid, straightforward ways to help students develop self-control. Check them out at: http://www.loveandlogic.com/p-597-success-with-strong-willed-stubborn-or-downright-defiant-kids-on-demand-webinar.aspx

    ReplyDelete